Shift Register 8-Bit – DIP16 – 74HC595
Simple shift register IC. Clock in data and latch it to free up IO pins on your micro.
This shift register enables you to expand on the digital outputs available on your microcontroller. Each one of these 74HC595s can act like 8 more digital outputs, and for even more expandability, you can daisy chain them. In fact, by connecting 8 of them up next to each other, you could have control of 64 outputs.
But the way it works is a little confusing to think of at first, so we’ve provided a couple of links below to great tutorials.
- 8-Bit Serial-In, Parallel-Out Shift
- Wide Operating Voltage Range of 2 V to 6 V
- High-Current 3-State Outputs Can Drive Up To 15 LSTTL Loads
- Low Power Consumption, 80-µA Max ICC
- Typical tpd = 13 ns
- ±6-mA Output Drive at 5 V
- Low Input Current of 1 µA Max
- Shift Register Has Direct Clear