Flexiforce Pressure Sensor (FSR) – 0 – 100lbs (445N)
This is a piezoresistive force sensor from Tekscan. The harder you press, the lower the sensor’s resistance. Pressing lightly, the resistance changes from infinite to ~300k.
The sensor itself is thin and flexible, but the resistance does not change while being flexed. Resistance changes only when pressure is applied to the round area at the end of the sensor.
Used as a presence sensor (someone standing), weight sensor, pressure sensor (impact testing), etc.
The overall length is 191mm (7.5″). The sensor comes with a 2.54mm (0.1″) spaced, reinforced, breadboard friendly connector.
This sensor comes in three flavors. This sensor ranges from 0 to 100lbs of pressure in the mega-ohm range.
This particular version of the Sensor can measure up to 4,448 N (1,000 lb)!!! In order to measure higher forces, apply a lower drive voltage (-0.5 V, -0.25 V, etc.) and reduce the resistance of the feedback resistor (1kΩ min.).
Transversely to measure lower forces, apply a higher drive voltage, and increase the resistance of the feedback resistor.
Features of FlexiForce™ Sensors:
- Thin [.203 mm (0.008 in)] & Flexible
- Lightweight & Low-Power
- Simple to Use
- RoHS Compliant
- Model No.: A201-100
- Connector: 3-Pin Male Square Pin (Center pin is inactive)
- Substrate Material: Polyester
- Linearity (Error): < ±3% of full scale
- Repeatability: < ±2.5%
- Hysteresis: < 4.5% of full scale
- Drift: < 5% per logarithmic time scale
- Response Time: < 5µsec
- Operating Temperature -40°C – 60°C (-40°F – 140°F)
- Durability: ≥ 3 million Actuations @ Perpendicular load, room temperature, 22 N (5 lb)
- Temperature Sensitivity: 0.36%/°C (± 0.2%/°F)
- Length: 191mm (7.5″)
- Width: 14mm (0.55″)
- Sensing Area: 9.53mm (0.365″) diameter
- Thickness: 0.203mm (0.008″)
The sensor can be trimmed to different lengths to suit a wider range of applications. The trim lines are shown in the silkscreen as below: