Infrared Thermometer – MLX90614
The MLX90614ESF-BAA from Melexis is an infrared thermometer designed for non-contact temperature sensing. An internal 17-bit ADC and a powerful DSP contribute to the MLX90614’s high accuracy and resolution.
This device can be used for a wide range of applications including body temperature measurement and movement detection.
The MLX90614 provides two methods of output: PWM and SMBus (i.e. TWI, I2C). The 10-bit PWM output provides a resolution of 0.14°C, while the TWI interface has a resolution of 0.02°C. The MLX90614 is factory calibrated in wide temperature ranges: -40 to 85°C for the ambient temperature and -70 to 382.2°C for the object temperature. The measured value is the average temperature of all objects in the Field Of View of the sensor. The MLX90614 offers a standard accuracy of 0.5°C around room temperatures.
This device comes in a TO-39 package and is the 3V variant.
- Small size, low cost
- Easy to integrate
- Factory calibrated for a wide temperature range:
- -40 to +85°C for sensor temperature
- -70 to +380°C for object temperature
- SMBus compatible digital interface
- Customizable PWM output for continuous reading
- High accuracy of 0.5°C over the wide temperature range (0 to +50°C for both Ta and To)
- The measurement resolution of 0.02°C
- Single and dual-zone versions
- Simple adaptation for 8 to 16V applications
- Power saving mode
- Different package options for applications and measurements versatility