The Pololu USB is an extremely compacted, low-cost in-system programmer (ISP) for Atmel’s AVR microcontrollers. The USB AVR programmer connects to your computer’s USB port via an included USB A to mini-B cable and communicates with your programming software, such as AVR Studio or AVRDUDE, through a virtual COM port. This can also act as a USB-to-serial adapter or a two channel, severly limited oscilloscope (SLO-scope). The Pololu USB AVR Programmer ships with a 12″ (30 cm) 6-pin ISP programming cable and a 6’ (1.8 m) USB A to mini-B cable. It does not ship with software or documentation.
Documentation and other information
The complete guide to using the Pololu USB AVR programmer. This guide covers programming AVR microcontrollers, communicating via the USB-to-TTL-serial adapter, and measuring voltages using the SLO-scope.
This guide explains how to get started programming your Orangutan or 3pi Robot in Windows, Linux or Mac OS X. It covers setting up an AVR development environment (Atmel Studio 6.0 for Windows users), installing the Pololu AVR C/C++ Library, and setting up the Pololu USB AVR Programmer.
The Pololu USB SDK contains the code you need for making your own applications that use native USB to control the Jrk Motor Controller, Maestro Servo Controller, Simple Motor Controller, or USB AVR Programmer.
- Pololu AVR Development Bundle for Windows (release 130508) (12MB exe)
- This bundle contains all the Pololu software you need to get started programming AVRs in Windows: the Pololu AVR C/C++ Library, the Pololu USB AVR Programmer drivers and software, and the Pololu Orangutan SVP drivers. We recommend installing Atmel Studio 6.1 before installing this bundle.
- USB AVR Programmer Windows Drivers and Software release 121114 (11MB exe)
- This executable installs the Pololu USB AVR Programmer drivers, configuration utility, and SLO-scope application for Windows. , so you do not need to download and install this if you have installed the bundle.
- Firmware version 1.01 for the Pololu USB AVR Programmer (pgm03a) (34k pgm)
- You can use this file to upgrade your programmer’s firmware if needed. This update contains two bug fixes relating to the TTL serial port. This update is recommended if you use the TTL serial port and have a device with an earlier firmware version number (including all devices shipped before December 17, 2009). If you do not use the TTL serial port (you only program AVRs and run the SLO-scope), then you do not need this upgrade. See the instructions in the “Upgrading Firmware” section of the user’s guide for more information.
- Firmware version 1.07 for the Pololu USB AVR Programmer (pgm03a) (29k pgm)
- You can use this file to upgrade your programmer’s firmware if needed. This update adds support for AVR Studio 5.1. This firmware version was released on February 29, 2012. See the instructions in the “Upgrading Firmware” section of the user’s guide for more information.
- SLO-scope client C# source code (56k zip)
- Visual C# 2008 project containing the SLO-scope client software. The SLO-scope is a severely limited oscilloscope feature of the Pololu USB AVR programmer.